Actual 45 mm size by Franz Homberg, Bern
The standard bearer of Kolin stands gazing into the distance. Upon his head sits a tri-feathered traditional hat reflecting his noble pedigree. His sword may be sheathed, but his hand is at the hilt, ready for battle.
In the background lies the imposing form of Zytturm Clock Tower, a true keeper of time since its first chime in 1480.
A cross emanating stylized rays in all directions, allegory of the Confederacy providing everlasting brotherhood and unity of spirit, is embossed above the distinctive Zug coat of arms.
A winner’s laurel wreath made up of native flora encircles the inscription.
Huetet euch em Morgarten - Look at Morgarten
The Kolinbrunnen (Kolin Fountain) is located in the Swiss city of Zug and has given its name to a place (Kolinplatz).
The fountain is overshadowed by the statue of a standard bearer whose identification gave rise to various interpretations but generally seen as Wolfgang Kolin. He was the builder of the neighboring inn in the 16th century.
Originally this place was called Lindenplatz. In 1540, the city council decided to set up a well here. This fountain was built in 1541 with an octagonal trough and first called Lindenbrunnen. In the middle rises a pillar with leaf capital, which bears the year 1541. The standard bearer holds the shield and the standard of Zug. A total renovation took place in 1747. The column was renewed in 1891, the statue restored several times and each recast. A last renovation took place in 1981. The fountain is classified as a monument of regional importance.
Zytturm (Clock Tower)
This landmark of Zug is 52 metres high and rises above the other town towers. The lower part was constructed as a simple passageway through the town’s oldest circular wall. Hans Felder Senior, from Bavaria, the master builder who built St. Oswald's Church, increased the tower height in 1478-1480.
In 1557 the church assumed its present form, with the guardroom, the bay windows and the steep roof. Over the centuries, the tower fulfilled several functions. It provided a secure access to the city that was locked every night and also served as a prison and as a watchtower to detect fires at an early stage. Since 1480 it was possible to see what time it was. The large clock was installed in 1574.
Of particular interest today is the astronomical clock. The four hands, with the sun, moon, arrow and S, indicate the month, the phase of the moon, the day of the week, and the leap year. Fastest of all is the week hand. Every day it passes over one of the seven deities from whom the names of the days have been derived.
The Battle of Morgarten
The Battle of Morgarten occurred on 15 November 1315, when a 1,500-strong force from the Swiss Confederacy ambushed a group of Habsburg soldiers on the shores of Lake Ägeri near the Morgarten Pass in Switzerland. The Swiss, led by Werner Stauffacher, defeated the Habsburg troops, who were under the command of Duke Leopold I. The Swiss victory consolidated the Everlasting League of the Three Forest Cantons, which formed the core of modern Switzerland.
In recognition of the famous historical landmarks of Kolinbrunnen and the Zytturm (Clock Tower), both having withstood the passage of time, bearing witness to the growth of the proud city of Zug.