Actual 45 mm size by Huguenin, Le Locle
A traditional Swiss alpine huntsman with a spring in his step, wanders down the most beautiful scenic and celebrated trails of great ridges of Titlis. Into the distance lies Uri Alps of summit Hahne and Engelberger Rostock berg, silent witnesses of legendary deeds of old.
He firmly grasps his trusty trekking pole, to assist him in his upcoming long expedition. Slung across his broad back is a handsome Perkussionsstutzer rifle, the prized armament of every sharpshooter, bestowed to champions of honor at the national shooting competition.
Extending his hat well forward with pride and gratification, a salute onwards, in the direction of the quaint village resort, Engelberg. Her namesake Engelberg represents “Mountain of Angels”, stemming from the venerable Benedictine Abbey founded in 1198, well renowned during the middles ages for its most esteemed quality of education.
The Holy Cross Chapel with its distinctive spire and the mansion (Herrenhaus) in Grafenort in the distance, stately monuments to the historic past of Engelberg.
O! MEIN HEIMATIAND - O! MY NATIVE LANDS
Depiction of the Swiss Cross with stylized rays diverging in all directions, a remarkable allegory of the Confederacy and virtues of free liberties and everlasting brotherhood union of the cantons.
Upon laurels of beauty, the local Alpenrose flowers lie in gentle repose amidst the eminent Angel blazon arms of the resort village Engelberg.
Within the banner folds of pike-standards belonging to the canton Obwalden, rests the sharpshooters’ Perkussionsstutzer rifle, the choice of every time honoured champion.
The municipality of Engelberg is an exclave of Obwalden, surrounded by the cantons of Bern, Nidwalden and Uri. Engelberg is a major mountain resort in Central Switzerland.
In the Middle Ages, Engelberg was known for the educational quality of its Benedictine monastery, Engelberg Abbey. Engelberg is first mentioned as Engilperc in 1122, when the Abbey was first founded there. From 1850, Engelberg became an international vacation resort (mineral water, milk serum and fresh air cures). From 1872 to 1874, a new, wider road was built, and the Stansstad-Engelberg electric railway was opened in 1898.
Hiking and other mountain sports developed at the end of the 19th century and Engelberg first held a winter season in 1903-1904. From the 19th Century onwards Engelberg became internationally known as a mountain resort, but it is today visited as much for skiing as for its Alpine character.
With its combination of modern snow and sports facilities and alpine location, Engelberg is popular today for both summer and winter tourism.
Engelberg is also home to three sites that are Swiss heritage sites of national significance. Besides the Engelberg Abbey with its library, archives and music collection, the other two are the mansion (Herrenhaus) in Grafenort and the Holy Cross chapel in Grafenort.
Celebrating the picturesque renowned beauty of the world-class skiing resort village of Engelberg, its famous olden heritage hiking trails and scenic alpine landscape.