1881 Fribourg


Actual 47 mm size by Edoardo Durussel, Berna

Obverse.

Allegory of Freiburg and Soleure, gratified maidens in elegantly flowing robes, handle the reunified covenant script of union, everlasting 400th jubilee "1481-1881". Prideful bulwark blazons of arms represent both Hers erstwhile origins, swords ready in perpetual defense of the unity of each and one other, gladsome joining of the glorious cantons couplet.

Helvetia, salutes the welcoming of this everlasting kinship, as full comrades of the Confederacy, dignified eternal pledge of sanctuary for Her union - for One, for All.

400th Anniversaire de la Réunion de Fribourg et Soleure à la Suisse.

Reverse.

Olden St. Nicholas Cathedral of Gothic-styled, past Roman Catholic legacy, built 1283-1430 (76 meters high Tower completed in 1490 and houses 11 bells) on rocky outcrop 50 meters above river Saane, dominates the medieval town below. The Episcopal seat of diocese of Fribourg, along also of Lausanne and Geneva.

Great olden “The Suspended Freiburg Bridge” Built in 1834 by Joseph Chaley, the iron wire bridge was temporarily the longest suspension bridge in the world. It crossed the Sairne River, access to midland railway connections driving past lucrative industrial growth. (Removed in 1920)

Intricate encircling the rim of victory laurels of Fribourg and Solothurn flora flowers leaves lay glorious tribute, all esteemed victors of the great shot competes of Old Suisse Confederacy.

Background.

“ – Fribourg Joining the Swiss Confederation

Its name is derived from German frei (free) and Burg (fort).

Beginning at the time of its inception, Fribourg (founded 1157 by the Berthold IV, Duke of Zähringen) built a city-state, where lands it controlled lay some distance away. When the dukes of Zähringen died out in 1218, the city was transferred to the related Kyburg family.

The city was then sold to the Habsburgs in 1277. Trade and industry began as early as the mid-13th century. In the early period, the city developed rapidly, which led expansions reflecting the economic boom in Fribourg. The 14th century was dominated by trade, and cloth and leather production, which brought the city recognition in Central Europe by 1370.

In 1339, Fribourg participated alongside the Habsburgs and the County of Burgundy in the Battle of Laupen against Bern and its Swiss Confederacy allies. The treaty with Bern was renewed in 1403. The leaders of the city then began a territorial acquisition, in which they gradually brought more nearby land under their control.

The mid-15th century was shaped by various military conflicts. First, considerable losses in a war against Savoy had to be made good. The Savoyard influence on the city grew, and the Habsburgs ceded it to them in 1452. It remained under the control of Savoy until the Burgundian Wars in 1477. As an ally of Bern, Fribourg participated in the war against Charles I of Burgundy, thereby bringing more land under its control. After the city was released from the sphere of influence of Savoy, it attained the status of Free Imperial City in 1478.

The city and its canton joined the Swiss Confederation in 1481.

– Solothurn Joining the Swiss Confederation

Its name is derived from Salodurum, a Roman-era settlement.

During the Early Middle Ages, Solothurn was part of the Kingdom of Lotharingia (Lorraine). After the collapse of Lotharingia, it became part of the Second Kingdom of Burgundy. In 1033, the Kingdom of Burgundy became part of the Holy Roman Empire and Solothurn gained some independence. In 1127, the dukes of Zähringen then acquired it.

After the extinction of the Zähringer line in 1218 it became a free imperial city under the Holy Roman Emperor. In 1344 Solothurn acquired the right to appoint own Schultheiss from the Count of Buchegg, which was confirmed by Emperor Charles IV in 1360.

As the city grew in power, it bound the Monastery of St. Ursus more closely to the city. In 1251 the city defeated claims made by the Monastery on the right to appoint the Schultheiss. As the city grew in power, it bound the Monastery of St. Ursus more closely to the city.

In 1382 the Habsburgs attacked the city, involving Solothurn in the Battle of Sempach. By the treaty of two years later, the Habsburgs renounced all claims to the territory of the city. The latter was expanded by acquisition of neighboring lands in the 15th century, roughly up to the today's canton area.

In 1481, it obtained full membership in the Swiss Confederation.”

In memory of, the 400th year anniversary of joining of cantons of Fribourg of Solothurn, into the Old Suisse Confederation at the same year of 1481.


Sale

Unavailable

Sold Out